Sunday, April 20, 2014

Africa Book of the Day - 20 April 2014

Easter in Abuja (This Is Africa - Lessons I learned from Dr. Stephen Covey) by John Irving and Christine Irving

Release Date: February 25, 2013
Publisher: Aurochs Press [Kindle Edition]

When I was struggling with the challenges of middle age I discovered the man I consider one of the greatest American teachers, mentors and philosophers of our generation, Dr. Stephen Covey. While Martin Luther King was my guide as a teenager and young adult, Dr. Covey was the man who guided me through my forties and fifties. His 7 Habits have helped and healed so many. This story is about Habit 1: Be Proactive.

This Is Africa is a series of stories garnered from more than ten years flying and travelling throughout Africa as a jumbo-jet captain and avid adventurer. During my wanderings I was often joined by my indomitable companion-for-life Christine Irving, my soul-mate of five decades. She is a writer, poet, priestess and my own personal Goddess. While I haven’t travelled in every country in Africa, I have been in Algeria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Cote d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of The Congo, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire), Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. During my travels I have had some interesting times which I will share with you in my series This Is Africa.

In Easter In Ajuba I describe a Nigerian airport that was not expecting my Boeing 747-400 freighter, just after midnight on Easter morning.
Authors Christine and John Irving have also written Magdalene A.D: Part II - Gospel of a Mary (2012), Motorcycle Dreaming - Riding the 'Beauty Way' Back in Time Across America (2009), Mystery of the Black Madonna (2012), and Be a Teller of Tales (2009).